Saturday, February 26, 2011

Let's crack open this bottle

Hey guys,

Welcome to our new blog! I am Dr. Fizz and I am joined by my wife (Mrs. Fizz) as well as our dachshund (lil Fizz).

You may ask yourself, how did this pointless blog start?  Well, I have always loved root beer and have sometimes splurged to buy six packs of Boylan's or Thomas Kemper root beer. While I do love it, I have actually always preferred A&W for it's rich-creamy goodness. Over the past five years I haven't splurged for sodas anymore and became more interested in trying many different types of beer.

Last week, my wife and I (along with our family) went to a special grocery store in the Pasadena area (http://www.sodapopstop.com). While the back of the store contains a meat deli and the front contains a few shelves of candy, every single aisle is stocked floor to ceiling with drinks. Not bottled water or coca cola, but really obscure, foreign, and low budget drinks. There was literally an entire aisle of just root beers. There was also several aisles dedicated to alcohol, with a selection of beer that puts my Henry's grocery store to shame. While I have heard of some of the drink brands, some were probably basement created. Some even had paper labels that appeared hand glued on.

Us in the store (I didn't get the blue jolt)

We spent about an hour there and started filling our cart with drinks. Thankfully, the store provides the cartons the incoming drinks come in. I began in the root beer / sarsaparilla section and picked out about 20 drinks. I moved on to odd flavored sodas (such as vanilla / chocolate / etc), before transitioning to the wheat beer section and flavored stout section. Finally, I went to the foreign drink section and picked out a few more. In total, I picked up about 30 sodas and 8 beers, every one unique. 

One of the two crates we filled

With the addition of my wife's drinks, we got close to a hundred dollars worth of drinks. Yes, we went overboard. I immediately regretted it. I rarely ever drink something with dinner anymore and still have a fridge full of beer since the Superbowl. But there were several must try flavors that I was excited about (including a banana bread beer) so we were happy with our purchase.

I joked about documenting all the experiences I would have with our stash of drinks. My wife (Mrs. Fizz) got excited and totally got into the idea. After opening the first drink, it was pretty clear we were going to take this pretty seriously, so here is our blog. We will document our experience with each drink, recording the data we are interested in and trying to word our reactions. Please enjoy!

Lil Fizz guarding the fizz

Posted by, Dr Fizz

BTW we are totally not taking this seriously


No comments:

Post a Comment